forevermeg (forevermeg) wrote,

  • Mood:

Surprise!!!! (and *yawn*)

About 11:30, my boss came into the office and told me to hang around a little later before heading over to cover the housing office for lunch as we would be having a meeting in the back. Um.. okay?

Most of our meetings.. okay.. ALL of our meetings are scheduled way ahead of time and we are informed of them in advance. So the surprise of a surprise meeting was quite a...

... you get the idea.

About 10 till 12 I grabbed my ever-present notepad and pen and began to walk back towards the break room. When I looked in on Bob (my boss) to ask if it was time for the meeting yet, he had the momentary look of panic on his face, then he leaped out of his seat and began to walk back towards the break room with me. Before we even got there, Sarah, one of my co-workers, came out of the breakroom and asked to speak with me about something. We spoke for a few minutes and then Bob asked if anyone was covering the front desk. Me and the other front-desk person looked at each other and were like.. "No?" So Bob had me go back to the front to cover the desk until everyone got there. Okay, fine. Nothing too out-of-the-normal about the request. Though I did tease Bob while walking back up that he was just trying to get the pregnant woman to do some exercise.

No sooner had I gotten back up front and settled in my chair than Bob came in and said it was time to go to the back.

Grr... do you realize how hard it is for an almost 9-month pregnant woman to get up and down?

No, of course you don't. You're a man.


So we walked to the back and were talking about something or another until we got to the door to the break room. As I came through I noticed that La Dena, my co-worker from the housing office was there. She's the one that I go cover for lunch. Hmmm. Why was she here? Normally she doesn't make it to the meetings because she has her foot in a cast and can't come up the icy walk. But still, weird.. but not too strange.

Then I walked past both the doors and as soon as I stepped into the room everyone shouted "SURPRISE!!!"

Yep. You guessed it. A surprise baby shower for yours truly.

Out on the "table of honor" was an elaborate diaper cake that Christine, the mastermind behind the party, had created, and along the counter was food.. mmm.. All homemade by Christine, who is one of the best cooks I know. She had down Italian sloppy joes (hey, we're 90% guys here.. besides.. I like sloppy joes!) and homemade cottage fries that were SO good, and this ranch-kind of dip that she had come up with. mmmm. And for dessert... tiramsu cake!

She must have been reading my diary.

Then they brought out the gifts, which was more of what was incorporated into the diaper cake. There were two giant costco boxes of Huggies diapers and a big box of wipes to go along with it. I think we're good for a while, don't you?

Then there were two baby towels, two packs of washcloths, a bunch of terrycloth bath finger puppets, a musical frog, and three rubber duckies: a firefighter, paramedic, and police officer. They picked those out in honor of Micah.. awww..

And of course there was a card that everyone had signed along with some $$, which is ALWAYS appreciated.

All in all, they TOTALLY surprised me. I mean, in the back of my mind I had wondered if they would throw me one, but didn't really think about it, you know? And I really wasn't expecting it today. So they got me good. And normally I'm hard to surprise, much to my family's dismay.

I have so much to be thankful for. God has been good to me, giving me friends, family, co-workers, and a good local church. We have a strong support system, and for that, I am thanking Him every day.

Oh- and as for the "yawn*... I usually take a nap during my lunch break, but because of the baby shower, I obviously couldn't do that today. So, I missed my nap. :( Which means I'm tired. And Micah and I are going out for Valentine's tonight so unless I'm wanting to fall asleep during the soup course, I might should grab a nap before leaving. We made reservations for 7:45, so getting home at 5:15, needing to leave at 7:25 or so, and needing 30 minutes to get ready... then I should be able to take a nap for at least an hour or so. That would REALLY help.

Love to all!

  • Post a new comment


    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.